top of page

Getting Married in New York


In order to help prepare you and your soon-to-be-spouse for your wedding day we have provided the answers to some of the most common questions we get asked about the marriage process and requirements.


What do I need to get married?
-A valid NY state wedding license, which is available at the Town or City Clerk's Office. You will both need at  proof of non-expired identification and the appropriate license fee. If you've been divorced or had an annulment you will need that paperwork as well. You can find the marriage license application on most town and city clerk websites (see below). You will also need at least one witness for the ceremony. Click here for a sample wedding license.

Acceptable identification includes:



  • Driver License with photograph (from the United States of America or any of its territories)

  • Non-Driver Identification Card with photograph (from the United States of America or any of its territories)

  • Learner Permit with photograph (from the United States of America or any of its territories)

  • Active United States Military Identification Card

  • Passport

  • United States Certificate of Naturalization (good for 10 years after date of issue)

  • United States Permanent Resident Card

  • United States Employment Authorization Card


What if I'm not from New York?
-That's fine, people love to do destination weddings on Long Island and NYC, all you need to do is obtain a NY State wedding license, fulfill it's requirements and you can be married here in NY.

How long is the marriage license valid?
Once the marriage license is issued, and waiting a mandatory 24 hour period, you will have 60 days for the ceremony to be performed and solemnized.

I'm having a friend perform the ceremony, they were ordained online, is that legal?

Having a family or friend perform your ceremony can make your special day even more so, however not all online ordinations are recognized in every state and some not at all. Be sure to check with the respective Town or County Clerks office (where the ceremony will be held) prior to performing a wedding to ensure their credentials are valid and will be recognized. They may also need proof of their registration and ordination.

Note: All ceremonies taking place in NYC and it’s respective boroughs requires registration with the New York City Clerk’s Office. (Further information and requirements can be found HERE)

The recognition of online ordained ministers is constantly changing and the validity of the ceremonies repeatedly called into question country-wide. However to date in New York online ordained ministers continue to operate and perform recognized ceremonies through the state including NYC. It is your, and their, responsibility to keep up-to-date with ever-changing laws and rulings. You can always allay your fears by simply having the Town Clerk issue the license and either have them perform a civil ceremony at town hall or have your religious official perform a private ceremony. This way the wedding license is already filed and taken care of, while the ceremony at your reception or family can be the way you want as the legal paperwork will have already been taken care of without fear. Remember this is your wedding day and if you feel uncomfortable then do what you need to relieve that anxiety.

(Click here for more legal information regarding online ordinations)

Information on who to contact, applications for Marriage License and more

The websites of government offices are updated regularly with their hours of operations or any closings. It also will have the forms for you to fill out to obtain your license, the fees involved filing, and additional information. Be sure to check the link to ensure you're prepared properly. While the boroughs all report back to NYC, in Nassau and Suffolk counties the marriage licenses and records are maintained by the individual town where it was celebrated. Click the town or city to be directed right to their page.

New York City Clerks Office

212-669-8090, Dial 311, or 212-NEW-YORK from outside the five boroughs of NYC
You can find all the hours and locations for Manhattan, Brooklyn, Richmond, Bronx, and Queens and Staten Island by clicking HERE

You can click on any of the Clerk offices below to be sent directly to their wedding information

Suffolk County Clerks Office   631-852-2000

Babylon Town Clerk Office      631-957-3005

Brookhaven Town Clerk Office      631-451-9101

East Hampton Town Clerk Office  631-324-4142

Huntington Town Clerk Office     631-351-3206

Islip Town Clerk Office        631-224-5498

Riverhead Town Clerk Office     631-727-3200

Shelter Island Town Clerk Office   631-749-1166

Smithtown Town Clerk Office     631-360-7620

Southampton Town Clerk Office   631-287-5740

Southold Town Clerk Office     631-765-1800

Nassau County Clerks Office  516-571-2660

Glen Cove City Clerk Office    516-676-3345

Hempstead Town Clerk Office      516-489-5000

North Hempstead Town Clerk Office     516-869-6311

Long Beach City Clerk Office     516-431-1000

Oyster Bay Town Clerk Offices   
Town Hall North- Oyster Bay  516-624-6335
Town Hall South- Massapequa  516-797-7966

How about a handy Post Wedding Checklist to help guide you with name changing official documents?

bottom of page